light raspberry logomark

Big savings for low-mileage drivers

CAA MyPace is Canada’s first and only pay-as-you-go auto insurance payment program. If you drive less than 12,000 km a year, CAA MyPace allows you to control and manage your costs by purchasing insurance only for the distance you need. Low-mileage drivers can save hundreds on their coverage.

Light yellow background.
Car parked in a driveway.
GPS tracking device.
light raspberry logomark

How does CAA MyPace work?

You plug a USB-sized mileage tracker into your car’s diagnostic port, and download the CAA MyPace app to track the distance you drive and your savings. That’s it!

Unlike other telematics programs that might track your speed, the time of day when you drive, your turns and your braking, CAA MyPace only monitors how much mileage you’re putting on your car, not any other driving habits. Just plug it in and start saving. It’s great for people who live in the city, work remotely or are retired.

What’s covered by CAA MyPace auto insurance?

CAA MyPace is just a different way to pay for your auto insurance. Like other auto insurance policies in Ontario, it includes the following mandatory coverages:

Coverage umbrella over money

Third-party liability

If you have an at-fault accident, you can be sued for property damage or hurting someone. This covers court awards, settlements and legal fees. The minimum is $200,000 in coverage. We recommend $2 million.

More about liability

Car accident

Accident benefits

This covers medical costs beyond government health plans, and includes rehab, attendant care and lost income. It also covers the cost of a substitute caregiver for your kids or elderly parent.

More about AB

Insurance policy

Direct compensation

If another driver is at fault for an accident, direct compensation – property damage (DCPD) coverage pays to repair your vehicle, with no deductible. It also covers any stuff in your vehicle and a rental car.

More about DC-PD

Additional car with plus symbol

Uninsured auto

If you get in a car accident with a driver who doesn’t have insurance, uninsured automobile coverage allows you to recover damages in court or out-of-court as if they did. It can also cover hit-and-runs.

More about uninsured auto

We also strongly recommend collision and comprehensive coverage that pays to repair or replace your vehicle should something happen to it.

Frequently asked questions about mileage-based auto insurance

Based on how much you drive, you could see big savings. For instance, if you drive 8,000 km you will save 5% and if you drive 1,000 Km you will save upwards of 70%.

If you drive more than 12,000 km, there are no savings benefits and you’ll be better off with a standard auto insurance policy.

You’ll be quoted a base rate to insure you and your vehicle while it’s not being driven. This can be paid entirely up front or spread out over the course of the year, just like a standard auto policy.

You’ll also pay for your first 1,000 km increment when your policy begins. After that, you’ll pay for each successive 1,000 km increment as you use it. This pay-as-you-go insurance program allows you to purchase coverage only for the distance you need.

Yes. You can map your trip routes, track how much you’re saving and see how much mileage is left on your plan.

You don’t need to. CAA MyPace tracks how much you’ve driven in 1,000 km increments, and sends you notifications through the app along the way.

If you reach 12,000 km before the year is out, you won’t save any money. Call us and ask to switch to a regular CAA policy to avoid surcharges.

No. Unlike other auto insurance telematics programs that track when you use your car and how aggressively you drive, CAA MyPace only tracks your mileage.

No, because not all vehicles are compatible with the mileage tracking device. Cars that can’t use the mileage tracking device include electric cars, diesel vehicles from 2005 and all vehicles older than 1997.

As brokers for over 70 of Canada’s top insurance companies, we have access to a wide range of insurance solutions at some of the best rates in Ontario. Want to learn more about the coverage options available to you? Here’s a few of them.