Insurance for Ontario spas, lodges, hotels and resorts
We have comprehensive coverage for hotels, motels, resorts, spas, bed and breakfasts, restaurants, bars, lounges and more in Ontario. Our packages include hospitality and lodging insurance essentials like liquor liability, business interruption and more to ensure your business has the right protection.
More options to choose from
Let us get you the perfect policy for your hospitality business. Being an outlet for over 70 of Canada’s top insurance companies means that we have access to all kinds of coverages, for all kinds of business and all kinds of budgets. Call us for a free consultation and no-obligation quote.
What does hospitality and lodging insurance cover?
Every business is a little different, but most hospitality and lodging insurance packages include the following:
Commercial general liability
Coverage if your business is sued for causing an injury to a guest or damaging their property. It covers legal fees and any court-awarded costs. If the unimaginable happens, we’ll be there to help you sort out the details.
Protection for company vehicles if they are stolen, damaged or involved in an accident. If your staff use their personal vehicles for business purposes, we have special coverage for that as well.
Covers sudden, accidental breakdown of things like ventilation, heating and air conditioning, refrigerators, computers and phone systems that are critical to keeping your guests happy and your business running.
Covers your buildings, inventory, equipment and more against fire, storms, burst pipes, vandalism and theft. Bed and breakfasts require commercial property coverage too.
Essential insurance if you have a liquor license. It provides protection if you’re responsible for someone’s injury, or damage caused by any of your guests because they were served past the point of intoxication.
Replaces lost revenues if your hotel, spa, pub or other hospitality business is being restored after a fire, flood or another insured event that prevents you from keeping the doors open and generating income.
Covers lost revenues because of cybercrime or a data breach and includes technical recovery support along with legal and PR help, which are especially important if client data gets stolen or leaked publicly.
Not something any employer really wants to think about, this provides protection against financial losses if your staff commits fraud or steals money, stock or other business property.
Good to know: Common questions about hospitality and lodging insurance
How much is hospitality insurance in Ontario?
Premiums for hospitality and lodging businesses vary quite a bit as this industry encompasses everything from small bed and breakfasts to large hotels and resorts. In general, premiums will be affected by the following factors:
- The number of guests you can accommodate
- Your annual revenues
- Where your facility is located
- How many employees you have
- Whether you serve alcohol
- Whether guests stay overnight
- Whether you offer spa treatments
- Whether you offer adventure activities like zip lines and water slides
- The quality and maintenance of your fire alarms, sprinklers and security systems
- The quality of your staff training
- Proximity to fire hydrants and fire stations
- Your past claims history
What are the most important coverages for a hospitality business?
- The most critical coverage is the one that protects your most valuable asset, the building. Make sure that you keep up to date on the latest rebuild costs to ensure you have enough commercial property insurance.
- Commercial general liability coverage is equally important because guests and suppliers are constantly coming in and out of your facility. Accidents can and do happen, and you want to be protected from legal action.
- Business interruption insurance may be more critical for hotels and resorts than just about any other business because a lost day is a lost day. You can’t catch up on lost work to maintain revenues if the facility has to close for a week.
- Equipment breakdown is important for the same reason. If your air conditioning, heat or elevators fail at the wrong time, that’s lost revenue you can’t get back.
- Liquor liability coverage is also essential if you serve alcoholic beverages.
Is my bed and breakfast covered by my home insurance?
No. Home insurance does not provide coverage for business activities in your home. You need a business insurance policy that covers you for liability if your guests get hurt, and protects contents of the home that are used primarily for business purposes. If you don’t have proper business coverage, it could invalidate your home insurance. Please talk to one of our commercial insurance specialists about affordable options.