Launched in the Canadian market in 2017, Onlia Insurance offers customers coverage for their automobiles and homes (including condo and renters insurance) on a modern, flexible basis.
|< 50 (2020)
|Home & Auto Insurance
|AB, BC, MB, NB, NL, NWT, NS, NU, ON, PEI, QC, SK, YT
|Achmea Canada Holding Inc. & Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd.
Based in Toronto, Ontario, Onlia is a fully digital insurance company that claims to be bringing the industry into the 21st century with flexible coverage and quick, all-online quotes. Onlia offers a home and auto policies to customers across Canada.
Although the company is relatively new, Onlia the brainchild of some established names in the industry. It’s a joint venture of Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited and Achmea Canada Holding Inc., a subsidiary of the Netherlands’ largest insurance group.
When they purchase a policy online, customers of Onlia Insurance can expect:
- A range of available discounts that makes Onlia’s home and auto coverage more affordable
- No “hidden” fees for cancellations, insufficient funds, or other reasons
- Broad coverage that takes into account most or all of the hazards a policyholder could encounter at home or on the road
Because Onlia Insurance is a digital insurer, the company doesn’t use brokers. Instead, according to Onlia, it makes it as easy as possible for customers to manage their own policies and make adjustments to their coverage as they see fit.
Benefits of Onlia Insurance
Onlia Insurance limits itself to covering only homes and automobiles, but offers a fairly wide range of coverage options within these two product areas. The company claims to take a more modern approach to the industry with a “prevention first” model — encouraging and incentivizing safe behavior rather than reacting to accidents and injuries.
Onlia’s policyholders generally enjoy the following benefits from working with the company:
- Budget-friendly flexibility: Onlia Insurance offers customers complete control over their own insurance, and rather than offering policies based on monthly or annual contracts, lets policyholders start and stop coverage as they please. Onlia customers can even pause their auto insurance while they’re on vacation so that they aren’t paying for a time when they aren’t driving.
- A system to reward safe driving: The Onlia Sense app was developed with telematics provider Insurance & Mobility Solutions, designed to gamify safe driving in a way that customers (and non-customers) would engage with. The app offers perfomance benchmarks and safety challenges, giving users the opportunity to win prizes — such as Starbucks gift cards — without even having an Onlia policy. Policyholders are offered additional incentives, like insurance cashback prizes.
- Roadside assistance for every customer: Through the Onlia Sense app, policyholders automatically access roadside assistance services without paying for an additional membership. Services are offered at a flat rate, including $79 each for a tire change, a jump start, and fuel delivery, for example.
Onlia Insurance Products
Onlia Insurance customers can get a quote for their home, their car, or both, just by answering a 10-minute survey on the company’s website. Onlia claims that the questionnaire collects comprehensive data so that the policy quoted reflects a prospective policyholder’s unique risk areas. Here’s a breakdown of the Onlia Insurance coverage areas.
Onlia’s home insurance coverage areas fall under the following categories:
- Home and Detached Structures
- Personal Property
- Additional Living Expenses
- Personal Liability
- Flood and Sewer Backup
- Home Improvements
- Home Sharing
- Identity Theft
The company also offers coverage for condo owners and renters.
Onlia Insurance offers several discounts for people who purchase home insurance from them, and if the policyholder is eligible, discounts are applied to their quote automatically. These include:
- 20% savings on home if a customer also has an Onlia auto policy
- Up to 50% savings based on a person’s credit rating
- 15% savings if the covered home has a monitored alarm system
- 20% savings if the customer doesn’t have a mortgage on their home
Onlia’s auto insurance policies offer the following coverage:
- Increased Liability
- 75% Settlement Option
- Free Rentals
- Accident Forgiveness
- Ticket Forgiveness
- Collision & Comprehensive
Safe driving telematics aren’t anything new, but Onlia’s safe driving app is designed to engage more than most comparable programs. Not only is it open to all — not solely Onlia customers — it offers fun challenges like merit badges and safe driving achievements, as well as the chance to win prizes like gift card and policy discounts.
Onlia Sense also provides drivers with a safe driving “coach”, which updates their performance in real time in areas like acceleration, braking, and cornering, which contribute to an overall “trip score”, which allows for people to understand where they need to improve on the road as well as for parents to monitor their children’s driving habits.
On-Demand Roadside Assistance
Onlia offers roadside assistance at flat rates. All prices are set up front and transparent, except for towing, which is priced at a flat rate per mile after a certain trip distance:
- Tire change: $79
- Lock-out assistance: $79
- Jump start: $79
- Fuel delivery (including 10L of gas): $79
- Tow service: From $99
Like with their home policies, Onlia offers discounts to auto policyholders that automatically apply to their quote when they meet the criteria. The discounts offered on auto insurance policies include:
- Home & Auto bundle
- Graduated licensing
- Winter Tires
Don’t buy from this company
I had a terrible experience with this insurer. I had a claim since December 8 and up till now it has not been sorted out. I called customer service almost every day till December 24 and they couldn’t even send my car to body shop. It s*cks
Best insurance company in Ontario
Very easy quote and excellent premium.
Do not use this company
Was told to call the day we wanted to switch our vehicals out so we did and then they told us because one is up for renewal we couldn’t cancel it they had to and would take a week to do so we got screwed over and dealership charged us for canceling low jack installer on short notice and onlia then told us to set up a new account online for new vehical and pay the first and down-payment and have our other vehical on a separate policy one lady hung up on us cause I told her I’d post a bad review online will be finding new insurance this company is garbage you can’t even cancel a renewal
Review Your Insurance Company (max 5 minutes)
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *