Like many insurance companies that serve rural Ontario, the Trillium Mutual Insurance Company traces its roots back to the early days of mutual fire insurance and still serves the province’s local farmers today.
Trillium Mutual Insurance Company
|Employees in Canada
|75 – 100 (2020)
|Canadian Mkt. Share*
|Home Insurance, Auto Insurance, Business Insurance, & Farm Insurance
Trillium Mutual Insurance was formed in 2004 when Formosa Mutual Insurance Company merged with Elma Mutual Insurance Company, founded in 1880 and 1884, respectively. From the beginning, both companies specialized in protecting farms against risk, and Trillium Mutual uses the combined resources to continue this mission while expanding their business to serve several other types of customers.
Today, the company offers home, business, farm, and auto insurance, with added coverage for cybersecurity for farm and business owners. Like many smaller insurers in the region, Trillium Mutual claims a deep commitment for communities in rural Ontario, and works with members and policyholders to support local organizations in the areas they serve.
Policyholders of Trillium Mutual have come to expect the following from their insurance provider:
- A company that takes pride in understanding the people it serves
- A network of brokers, including some that are specialized in helping farmers find the right insurance
- Coverage options that run the gamut of the risks faced by modern farmers
Trillium Mutual is a relatively small insurance company, and as such, relies on a network of brokers to connect the company with prospective policyholders in the patchwork of rural communities in serves.
Trillium Mutual Advantages
Trillium Mutual doesn’t have the financial resources of the bigger insurance companies in Ontario, but it compensates by positioning itself as a more intimate, familiar partner in risk management and asset protection. The company’s customers enjoy the following benefits of purchasing coverage from Trillium Mutual:
- The ability to work with only one company: Because Trillium Mutual offers home, auto, business, and farm insurance, customers can choose to have their personal and commercial needs covered under one roof. This cuts down on time communicating with multiple companies after an incident, and allows a strong familiarity between customer and provider to form.
- A passion for “Real Farms” in Ontario: Trillium Insurance takes pride in its commitment Real Ontario Farm Insurance (ROFI), offering a special designation to some brokers, and taking the time to get to know the individual farm owners that it works with — even featuring them on the company website.
- A dedication to preventing and protecting cyber crime: Despite its businesses being rooted in the historical need to protect farm owners from being left with no options after their properties were damaged by fires, Trillium Mutual has dedicated itself to modernizing at the pace of the main industries is serves, offering additional protections for business that need them, including IT forensics services and covering litigation in cases where a data breach could have costly consequences.
Trillium Mutual Insurance Products
Trillium Mutual covers the full spectrum of “standard” insurance areas: home, auto, commercial, and farm, with added cyber protection.
Trillium Mutual provides insurance coverage for several different types of properties, including such as single-dwelling homes, townhomes, and condos, cottages. Protection is also available for renters. Residential insurance from Trillium Mutual includes the following areas:
- Vandalism & theft
When it comes to auto insurance, Trillium Mutual offers coverage for a diverse range of vehicle types, including the following:
- Personal vehicles
- Farm vehicles
- Commercial vehicles
- Recreational vehicles
- Classic & antique vehicles
The company also offers several different options for discounts off policyholders’ monthly premiums:
- Winter tires
- Protection plus
Trillium Mutual covers businesses across Ontario, offering a list of different protections, according to a business owner’s unique risk areas. The list includes the following:
- Business interruption
- Equipment breakdown
Trillium Mutual makes special mention of the company’s understanding of what it takes to run a business in the information age, and offers coverage to match, including:
- Cyber investigations
- Data recovery services
- Loss of income resulting from a cyber attack or data breach
- Cost of restoring computer hardware
- External public relations and litigation costs
- Reimbursing potential costs of notifying affected
For businesses that rely on vehicles or fleets to continue operations, Trillium offers additional coverage. Vehicle types include:
- Contractors’ vehicles
- Farm vehicles
- Delivery vehicles
- Vehicles used For sales calls
Trillium Mutual Insurance’s commitment to the farms that it covers is made evident by the fact that the company provides a special distinction (Real Ontario Farm Insurance, or ROFI) to brokers in its network who are knowledgeable about the unique needs of farm owners. Trillium Mutual offers the following protections to farmers and agribusinesses of varying size:
- General liability
- Business interruption and loss of earnings
- Equipment breakdown
- Farm equipment & machinery
- Data compromise
Review Your Insurance Company (max 5 minutes)
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *