cut paper image of heart shaped hot air balloons over water flowing into puddle

February 4, 2016

Introducing flood insurance

1 min read


You might be thinking flood insurance is nothing new but until recently, there were no coverage options available for damage caused by storms, spring thaw, or other fresh water flooding. Now since late last year, there is a new optional coverage for water damage that protects you against these causes of flooding.

Are you protected from a flood?

Not likely, since it is only recently that some companies have started to offer this coverage, three in Ontario to date, in the wake of the High River floods in Alberta. As storms get bigger and weather patterns more erratic, a flood is becoming a real possibility for more homeowners.

3 ways to protect your home and property from water damage

  1. Basic water coverage: Your policy probably already has basic water coverage that covers loss or damage resulting from events such as a burst water pipe.
  2. Sewer backup: Adding sewer back-up coverage to your policy offers protection from loss or damage related to the back up of water or sewage.
  3. Overland flood: Now adding the new water damage coverage provides protection for loss or damage related to water entering your property from the sudden accumulation of water after heavy rains, spring run-off, or overflow of lakes and rivers.

Why should I consider adding flood insurance to my policy?

A torrential rainfall or spring thaw, even the sudden accumulation of run-off water – it only takes a few inches of fresh water flooding to cause thousands of dollars in damage to your property. This new water damage coverage is added to policies that already have sewer back-up coverage. This enhances your protection against water damage caused by sudden accumulation or run-off of surface waters, including torrential rainfall or spring thaw and from overflows from any body of fresh water. If a flood is an unlikely event in your area, then the added cost is minimal.

Complete water protection

If you’re not sure what type of coverage you already have or how this new type of flood insurance would further protect your home and property, feel free to speak with one of our licensed insurance brokers to learn more about water damage coverage.

What coverage do you have or need?

Speak with one of our licensed insurance brokers about adding the new Water Damage coverage, a type of flood insurance* to your policy.

  • See if you qualify for coverage
  • Learn exactly what is covered (Read our FAQs)
  • How this will affect your premiums
  • Gain an overall better understanding of water damage and how your property can be protected.

Questions or want a quote?

If you have any questions or would like a no-obligation quote, contact Mitch Insurance Brokers at 1-800-731-2228 or email us at to be sure you are properly protected from floods and water damage.

Looking for home insurance?

Speak with a Mitch Insurance broker today to get a quote on Ontario home insurance. Learn more >

Call now

author avatar
Mitch Team

The articles you'll find on the Mitch blog are all the result of a team effort, contributed to by one or more of our RIBO licensed insurance brokers and/or other Ontario insurance experts. Contributors to our blog include:

  • Adam Mitchell (RIBO) - President and CEO of Mitch Insurance Brokers
  • Nick Kidd (RIBO) - Chief innovation officer at Mitch, & director of business insurance
  • Alex Gemmiti (BSc, CIP, RIBO) - Service team lead at Mitch Insurance
  • Jesica Ryzynski (RIBO) - Insurance broker, claims specialist, and account manager at Mitch Insurance

Learn more about the Mitch Team

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Didn’t find what you were looking for?

Check out some of our other insurance products.