You might be thinking flood insurance is nothing new but until recently, there were no coverage options available for damage caused by storms, spring thaw, or other fresh water flooding. Now since late last year, there is a new optional coverage for water damage that protects you against these causes of flooding.
Are you protected from a flood?
Not likely, since it is only recently that some companies have started to offer this coverage, three in Ontario to date, in the wake of the High River floods in Alberta. As storms get bigger and weather patterns more erratic, a flood is becoming a real possibility for more homeowners.
3 ways to protect your home and property from water damage
- Basic water coverage: Your policy probably already has basic water coverage that covers loss or damage resulting from events such as a burst water pipe.
- Sewer backup: Adding sewer back-up coverage to your policy offers protection from loss or damage related to the back up of water or sewage.
- Overland flood: Now adding the new water damage coverage provides protection for loss or damage related to water entering your property from the sudden accumulation of water after heavy rains, spring run-off, or overflow of lakes and rivers.
Why should I consider adding flood insurance to my policy?
A torrential rainfall or spring thaw, even the sudden accumulation of run-off water – it only takes a few inches of fresh water flooding to cause thousands of dollars in damage to your property. This new water damage coverage is added to policies that already have sewer back-up coverage. This enhances your protection against water damage caused by sudden accumulation or run-off of surface waters, including torrential rainfall or spring thaw and from overflows from any body of fresh water. If a flood is an unlikely event in your area, then the added cost is minimal.
Complete water protection
If you’re not sure what type of coverage you already have or how this new type of flood insurance would further protect your home and property, feel free to speak with one of our licensed insurance brokers to learn more about water damage coverage.
What coverage do you have or need?
Speak with one of our licensed insurance brokers about adding the new Water Damage coverage, a type of flood insurance* to your policy.
- See if you qualify for coverage
- Learn exactly what is covered (Read our FAQs)
- How this will affect your premiums
- Gain an overall better understanding of water damage and how your property can be protected.
Questions or want a quote?
If you have any questions or would like a no-obligation quote, contact Mitch Insurance Brokers at 1-800-731-2228 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be sure you are properly protected from floods and water damage.