The Mutual Fire Insurance Company of British Columbia, or Mutual Fire Insurance (MFI) for short, has specialized in covering farms and businesses for well over a century, and has grown to serve residential and commercial customers across five provinces.
The Mutual Fire Insurance Co. of British Columbia
|Employees in Canada
|Canadian Mkt. Share*
|Home Insurance, Business Insurance, & Farm Insurance
|AB, BC, MB, ON, SK
Mutual Fire Insurance was founded in 1902 by a collective of farmers and business owners in British Columbia’s Fraser Valley. Today, the company serves homeowners (including condos, rentals, and seasonal homes), business owners, and farm owners in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario.
People who purchase insurance from Mutual Fire Insurance of British Columbia can generally expect the following:
- A company that prides itself on understanding the needs of its customers
- Comprehensive options for large and small farm owners
- Access to a wide network of brokers across MFI’s service areas
Mutual Fire Insurance benefits from a large network of brokers in the five provinces in which the company writes policies. MFI touts its work with this network to support community causes in the areas where its policyholders live and work.
Mutual Fire Insurance Company Advantages
Mutual Fire Insurance doesn’t have the size or the resources of some of its competitors, especially in Ontario, but the company is large enough to provide comprehensive coverage and combined with its commitment to write policies that take home and business customers unique needs into account, MFI is able to provide benefits like the following to everyone it covers:
- The option to become a stakeholder: For an additional $15 per month, customers can become MFI members, which unlocks additional benefits, including free residential equipment breakdown coverage that covers repair and replacement costs for qualifying home appliances, potential premium discounts, and the opportunity to vote at board meetings, and become eligible to serve on the company’s board of directors.
- Dedicated insurance coverage for cyber risk: Cyber crime has become top-of-mind for many companies that handle payment information and sensitive data. Mutual Fire Insurance offers CyberOne, which provides an additional layer of protection against cyber attacks.
- Customizable farm insurance policies: The agricultural industry has become high-tech and diversified, and Mutual Fire Insurance has made a commitment to being able to build policies that fit the unique needs of an individual farms, allowing prospective customers to choose between different types of buildings, farm content, types, levels of liability, and policy enhancements.
Mutual Fire Insurance Products
Mutual Fire Insurance of British Columbia still specializes in anticipating the advanced and diverse needs and risk areas of large and small farms, but provides home and business insurance as well.
The Mutual Fire Insurance FarmPROTECT coverage is “designed for the future of farming.” The company gives farm owners a selectable set of options to build a set of of protections that meet their needs in variety of different areas:
Farm owners can choose between coverage for different sets of structures used for storage and operations on their farms.
Customers can choose between several different types of coverage for the contents of their farm: Basic perils, limited perils, extended perils, and comprehensive, each with different sets of qualifications and degrees of risk protection.
Coverage of farm enhancements is meant to let farm owners supplement the coverage they choose for buildings and contents — areas of “enhanced” coverage include livestock, crop loss, and crime protection.
Some agribusinesses face different risks than others. Based on the unique needs of an individual farm, farm owners can work with their broker to make sure there are no blind spots in their coverage.
MFI has experience providing custom solutions for a variety of different types of farms, including the following:
- Fruit and vegetable
- Mixed farming operations
Farm Equipment Breakdown
MFI acknowledges that different farms rely on different equipment, and as the agriculture industry continues to diversify, so will the needs of their customers. That’s why the offer specific breakdown coverage for a range of farming equipment, including the following:
- Electrical systems
- Boiler and pressure vessels
- Air conditioning units
- Heating units
- Computer controlled equipment
- Refrigeration units
Hobby Farm Insurance
Mutual Fire Insurance’s FarmPROTECT isn’t limited to large agricultural businesses; it also extends to family farms and smaller operations. MFI covers produce trees and plants, livestock, farm machinery, and farm stock, typically in addition to home insurance.
Mutual Fire Insurance covers business in range of different industries, including automotive, business and professional services, contracted service, hospitality, manufacturing, realty, and retail. Some of the areas of protection include the following:
- Business income
- Commercial contents
- Business interruption
- Contractors’ equipment
- Equipment breakdown
- Limited pollution liability
- Professional liability
- Property damage
- Replacement cost extensions
CyberOne Cyber Risk Insurance
MFI also covers a wide variety of risks involving data and cybersecurity under its CyberOne enhancements. This involves access to forensic IT services, data restoration, and liability protection for data breaches.
MFI covers homes and possessions for homeowners, landlords, and renters. Everything covered under the company’s home insurance policies includes:
- Home, seasonal, and rented dwellings
- All belongings
- Living expenses in the event of a claim
- Detached outbuildings and sheds
- Damages to others
- Home-based businesses
- Boats and jet skis
- Identity theft
Mutual Fire Insurance doesn’t publicize eligibility for discounts on their policies, but home insurance customers can lower their premium with fire or burglary alarm systems, customer loyalty, and staying claims-free and/or mortgage-free.
Course of Construction Coverage
Mutual Fire Insurance of British Columbia offers insurance options for people having a new home built, covering additional risks that arise during this period. These fall in the following areas:
- Property liability
- Bodily injury
- Property damage
- Reconstruction or repair including trees, plants, shrubs or flowers
- Temporary buildings
- Site preparation
Review Your Insurance Company (max 5 minutes)
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *