Now a subsidiary of The Co-operators Group, CUMIS (Credit Union Members Insurance Society) was founded in 1935 to serve the insurance needs of North American credit union and caisses populaires members.
In Canada, CUMIS offers credit & mortgage insurance, home & auto insurance, and travel insurance tailored to credit union members, and also offers business insurance protection and retirement services to credit unions themselves.
- Company Overview
- Cumis Advantages
- Cumis Insurance Products
- Cumis Reviews
CUMIS Services Incorporated
|Employees||300 – 500 (2023)|
|Insurance Products||Auto, Liability, Home, Renters, Condo and Travel Insurance for individuals, Business Insurance for credit unions|
|Provinces Licensed||AB, BC, MB (life insurance only), NB, NL, NWT, NS, NU, ON, PEI, QC, SK, YT|
Cumis Insurance QuotesGet a Quote now
Contact one of our insurance brokers to get a quote from CUMIS for coverage in Ontario: Speak with a broker today: 1-800-731-2228
CUMIS talks about “The Lesson of the Lineman” as its origin story. As the story goes, a power company lineman (and credit union member) had taken out a sizable loan, and then died in a workplace accident mere days later, leaving his family in financial straits. His fellow workers rose to the occasion and started a fund to support the family. Out of this tragedy arose an awareness of the need for insurance protection, and CUMIS was born. CUMIS offers a wide array of insurance and retirement services to credit union members, as well as business insurance services for credit unions and caisses populaires.
The only insurance company in Canada that has a Service Review Panel. This panel is made of client volunteers, and adds another level of dispute resolution, beyond that found at other insurance companies. Decisions of the panel are binding on the company, but any change can only affect the client for the better.
CUMIS Insurance Offers the Following Products
CUMIS offers a range of insurance and retirement services for credit unions and their members.
1. Credit and Mortgage Insurance
A suite of products that will pay off outstanding credit balances in the event of unexpected death or serious illness.
- Credit Card Balance Insurance
- Mortgage Insurance
- Loan and Line of Credit Insurance
2. Auto Insurance
CUMIS offers all mandatory auto insurance coverages required in your province or territory, plus a wide range of optional coverages, including collision and comprehensive coverage.
This insurer offers an optional coverage called a Driving Record Protector – which means your rates are protected if you are at-fault in an accident (first at-fault only).
They have also put together the following packages of optional coverage for your convenience:
Package 1 includes:
- Replacement Transportation – meaning if your car is damaged, you will have a rental car or other transportation paid for while it’s being fixed.
- Damage to Non-Owned Vehicle – meaning you’re covered if you do damage to a car you are renting (so you can waive the extra insurance).
- Limited Waiver of Depreciation – meaning if your car is less than 2 years old and it’s stolen or damaged beyond repair, you get a brand new car.
- Emergency Roadside Service – meaning you can get a boost, a tow or even a night in a hotel if your car leaves you stranded.
Package 2 includes:
- All of the above except the Limited Waiver of Depreciation.
- Collision (protects against damage to your vehicle in an accident)
The following discounts may apply:
- Claims-free discount
- Multi-car discount
- Car and home bundle discount
- Discount for being with the same insurance company for 3+ years
- Discount if your driving-age kids are away at school
- Discounts for older drivers
- Discounts for retirees
Note that the availability of optional coverages and discounts may vary by province.
In addition to cars and trucks, CUMIS also provides insurance for ATVs, snowmobiles, motorcycles, motorhomes and trailers.
3. Home Insurance
A variety of options are available for home, condo and tenant coverage through CUMIS. In addition to coverage for personal liability, contents, and physical damage to buildings where applicable, every policy includes identity fraud coverage at no extra cost.
CUMIS offers the following optional coverages for home, condo and tenants policies:
- Extended Water Coverage (choice of coverage levels, limits, basis of settlement and deductible)
- Home-based business coverage
- Personal umbrella liability
- Coverage for high-value items like collectibles, jewellery etc.
The following discounts may apply to your home, tenants or condo policy:
- Discounts if your home is LEED certified
- Auto and home insurance bundle
- Monitored home alarm discount
- Monitored fire alarm discount
- Neighbourhood Watch discount
- Discounts for older policyholders
- New home discount
- Claims-free discount
- Mortgage-free discount
4. Travel Insurance
Emergency travel medical insurance is available from CUMIS for credit union members. A variety of different plans to meet all your travel needs, large or small.
- Easy application process
- Up to $10 million coverage for hospital/doctor visits
- Air ambulance to home-province if medically necessary
- Exceptional claims service
- 24/7 multi-lingual assistance
- Multi-trip plans for frequent travellers
- Help with lost/stolen documents
Frequent Traveller Plan (Multi-trip)
- One plan to cover multiple trips over a year (Cover available for trips up to 125 days in length)
- 8-day multi-trip plan for business trips
Trip Cancellation/Interruption Plans
- Up to $15,000 if trip is cancelled, interrupted or delayed
- Option of $800-$2,000 for one-way transportation home
Accidental Death and Dismemberment (During Flight)
- Choose from $200,000 or $500,000 in coverage in the event of death, disappearance or injury while flying.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment (Non-Flight)
- Choose from $25,000, $100,000 or $250,000 in coverage in the event of injury, disappearance or death in the course of travelling, but not directly related to a flight mishap.
This plan can combine all-of-the-above medical and non-medical coverages, and offers significant savings over purchasing each policy individually.
For Credit Unions:
1. Insurance and Risk Management Services
Credit Unions that take advantage of CUMIS’ bonding program benefit from a wide range of risk management solutions, as follows:
Protection against employee theft or dishonesty, payment fraud, robbery and related losses.
Errors and Omissions Coverage (E&O)
Protects organizations from liability arising from failure to meet the professional standards.
Directors and Officers Liability Coverage
Protection for a credit union’s directors and officers against personal legal liability.
Employment Practices Liability Coverage
Protection from claims related to employment practices.
Comprehensive Privacy Liability Coverage
This coverage protect your credit union in the event that it inadvertently discloses private information of its members or third parties.
Optional Online Banking Coverage
CUMIS also offers protection in the event that a member using a credit union’s online banking solution becomes the victim of fraud, identity theft or a loss of personal information.
2. Business Insurance (Property and Casualty)
CUMIS offers a suite of property and casualty coverages that’s tailored to the unique needs of credit unions.
- CUPAC property coverage includes:
- Property coverage for owned buildings, contents, and tenants’ improvements if you are renting your space. Coverage is on an all risks basis.
- Data processing operations coverage for technology hardware including ATMs, terminals, data storage devices and related hardware.
- Financial records coverage, to protect against the loss of documents including loan agreements, accounting documents and more.
- CUPAC financial coverage includes:
- Chattel operations coverage, to protect non real estate or chattel loans.
- Real estate mortgage operations coverage, including E&O, mortgage impairment, foreclosed and non-foreclosed property.
- Residential property survey impairment coverage to protect the credit union’s mortgagee interest should the mortgagor not provide a current survey.
- Property tax arrears coverage to protect the credit union’s mortgagee interest should the mortgagor fail to pay his or her property taxes.
- CUPAC liability coverage can protect credit unions from liabilities in the following areas:
- Premises and operations liability
- Personal injury liability
- Product liability
- Employer’s liability
- Advertising injury liability
- Employee benefits liability
- Completed operations liability
- Non-owned automobile liability
- Tenants’ legal liability
- Safety deposit box liability
- Contract liability
- Incidental medical and malpractice liability
- CUPAC accident coverage includes:
- Crime accident coverage in the event that a criminal act leads to bodily injury or death of a credit union employee or member.
- Group accident coverage in the event that an employee or member is killed or injured as the result of credit union operations.
- Account holders accident coverage for accidental death or injury to an account holder of the credit union.
CUMIS also offers a variety of other coverages, including equipment breakdown and buyer protection (warranties) for the credit union’s debit card holders.
3. Retirement Services
Credit Unions employ thousands of Canadians, and in order to remain competitive for the best talent, it’s essential to offer a package of benefits that includes retirement savings.
CUMIS is able to offer a number of retirement savings options as follows:
- Group pension plans (defined contribution or defined benefit)
- Individual pension plans
- Group RRSPs
- Investment only plans
- Supplemental employee retirement plans
- Group tax-free savings accounts
- Deferred profit-sharing plans
CUMIS can tailor a plan to the needs of any credit union or caisse populaire in Canada.
- Plan setup and administration/recordkeeping
- Investment services, including employee education, web and phone support
- Selection of investment products (Choose from more than 50 funds and nine fund managers)
- Full plan sponsor support, including regular plan reviews
CUMIS offers flexible payment options, including credit card, pre-authorized payments or cheque. Pre-authorized payments can be scheduled weekly, bi-weekly, monthly or semi-monthly.
CUMIS Insurance QuotesGet a Quote now
Contact one of our brokers for an insurance quote from CUMIS Services Incorporated: Speak with a broker today: 1-800-731-2228
No CUMIS, No… Only 1/2 star
Lack of truthfulness and correctness and response time by representatives. False statements, and inaccurate -way away from reality- adjuster worksheet, wrong information on descriptions, suggested replacements, ages, and massive made up depreciations and cash values of items should be against the law. It sure is against morals. Many things were taken from us even though things were outside far away from the house fire with not even the smell of fire. Some expensive missing things like gold things and other things that were in the house were not listed or photographed as damaged for insurance coverage, or saved for us. A lot wrong. STAY AWAY.
… from this scam outfit. Been on disability for 9 months. Trying to payments from them to cover the mortgage and line of credit is a nightmare. They always demand a doctor review (their documents) for a payment. This costs me $250 every time I get the doc fill these papers out. That takes 250 bucks worth of food off our table. We now resort to using the local food bank to eat properly. The worst experience ever.
Worst company ever
Had a claim in handled very poorly had enough with dealing with them want to talk to the owner or the president of the company
Will advise everyone not to do busy
With company. Will take my business else in the future.
Review Your Insurance Company (max 5 minutes)
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *